Out with the standard old school “About” page and in with the CHAMPION style "About" page. I would rather tell you about the John Jackson I know and love, the guy that I have had the pleasure to get to know on a personal level. We all know the contributions "JJ" is making in the world today... I would rather tell you about the impact and experiences that I have witnessed. My top 10 about "THE ONE, THE ONLY, JOHN JACKSON!"
Ryan Nelson's “JJ” Top 10 List
10. He’s a good dad. I’ve stayed in his home and hung out with his 11 year old son and his 18 year old daughter. They are fun, confident, and respectful … more so than any other kids I’ve been around. Wyatt’s got a good strong handshake and looks you straight in the eye. Always answers with a “yes sir” or “no sir”. Riley is an old soul who plays a mean violin and can carry a conversation better than most adults I know. With kids, I don’t believe you get what you want, you get who you are. These kids are the product of awesome parenting and a healthy home.
9. He makes people feel good. JJ recently joined me on a road trip back through Oklahoma and up in to Kansas to visit our family farm. Along the way we spent time with my parents, my brother and my sister and all sorts of extended family. (I’ve since been told that I’m not welcome back unless JJ comes with me.) Watching him in action with my family it’s apparent that his love, attention and concern for others is genuine. He’s just got a gravitational pull on people. Like a giant 6’ 7” planet.
8. He inspires people. And I’m not just talking about when he’s “on”. I’ve seen him “in action” at times and places where most of us just coast through life. Example: have you ever seen a convenience store cashier inspired to be alive after selling two large unsweet teas? Go hang out with JJ sometime and you’ll see what I mean. There are no ordinary encounters with this guy.
7. He’s the ideal houseguest. When JJ’s in the Houston area he stays at our house. My dogs love JJ but they are bitter when they have to give up their run of the guest bedroom when he’s in town so I’m fairly confident they’re not the ones making the bed and cleaning up the room. One time I’d swear he even left a chocolate on the pillow.
6. He’s a great husband. I’ve shared with JJ many times how special it is to witness the interaction between him and his wife Lori, and their kids. I know no marriage is perfect but to know they are going strong after nearly 25 years of marriage and to see the love and respect they have for each other inspires me in my marriage. Simply put, JJ married up. It’s clearly evident Lori serves a higher purpose - she’s got a genuine servant’s heart. Hold on tight to her, JJ.
5. He’s a pinball wizard. A few years ago I built the pinball machine of all pinball machines. It’s a 21st century high definition technological wonder programmed with just about every pinball “game” ever made. I showed my pinball machine to JJ and he immediately challenged me to a game. And the dude almost beat me at my own game. It’s clearly evident he’s gone through more than a few rolls of quarters in his lifetime to develop those mad pinball skills. The wizard indeed.
4. He’s humble. I’ve observed JJ serving in a multitude of capacities and roles - corporate leadership, speaker, coach, trainer - and his humility is palpable. It’s been said that the reluctant leader is the best kind of leader, and I agree. JJ is the first to acknowledge his weaknesses and deficiencies. He is a seeker of wisdom and is energized to find himself around other leaders who inspire him, he can learn from and who can fill those voids. He’s the kind of leader I TRUST.
P.S. - He made me put this in here.
3. He helped me discover my WHY. JJ facilitated my personal Why Discovery process. It was a life-altering experience that has completely shifted my focus, given me clarity, a mission and a higher purpose. There’s no more qualified leader to facilitate the Why mastermind with the Champion Movement family than JJ.
2. He’s an unbelievably talented portrait artist. You might be surprised to learn this sports-loving giant of a man graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a degree in Fine Art. Walk through his house and you’ll quickly lose count of the portraits he’s done of his kids and his family. But it doesn’t stop there, as a commissioned artist JJ’s portraits are hanging on the walls of homes (and veterinary clinics - people love portraits of their dogs!) across the United States. Who knows, we may just may give away a portrait or two to the Champion Movement community some day!
1. His Why. “To serve others with love and respect so that they may love and respect others.” While I’ve heard him share his “Why” many times over the years, I never take for granted the fact that JJ also lives his “Why”. Listen, I’ve worked with a lot of individuals and companies over the years where the pursuit of money eclipsed their desire to do the right thing by and for their customers. JJ’s “Why” and his integrity to live it is exactly why I partnered with him to create the Champion Movement experience and community. Following is JJ’s favorite poem. Get to know the guy, and you’ll understand why.
“I’d Rather See A Sermon”
by Edgar A. Guest
“I'd rather see a sermon
than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me
than merely tell the way.
The eye's a better pupil
and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing,
but example's always clear;
And the best of all preachers
are the men who live their creeds,
For to see good put in action
is what everybody needs.
I soon can learn to do it
if you'll let me see it done;
I can watch your hands in action,
but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lecture you deliver
may be very wise and true,
But I'd rather get my lessons
by observing what you do;
For I might misunderstand you
and the high advice you give,
But there's no misunderstanding
how you act and how you live.”
"John Jackson is here TO SERVE OTHERS through love and respect SO THAT they may love and respect others."
- Creator of The Champion Project
- Host of The J.J. Cafe Show
- Master Why Facilitator
- Worldwide Speaker and Presenter
- Host of the Champion Morning Radio